Uzoechi Osisioma Emenike, or MNEK for short, has just dropped his incredible new EP ‘Small Talk’. Featuring 6 of the freshest tracks, this is the first real chance to capture MNEK at his very best; no featured artists, just MNEK displaying his incredible plethora of talents in one short, sweet record.
If you’re unfamiliar with the name, many of you will recognise the soulful, soothing tones from recent hits such as Sub Focus’ ‘Close’ and Gorgon City’s Summer smash ‘Ready For Your Love’. However, MNEK’s talents don’t just go as far as singing, oh no; his manipulation of simple sentences to craft deep, eloquent songs have aided some of the biggest names in the business and supplied some of the hits of the century. Here at The Mic, we reveal the 6 little-known facts about producer, singer, songwriter, remixer and downright musical phenomenon, MNEK.
1. MNEK first tickled the top of the UK charts in 2011 as credited writer and producer for The Saturdays’ ‘All Fired Up’. The upbeat teen anthem rocketed to the number 3 spot and infected the radio stations and festivals throughout the remainder of the year and well into 2012. Fair play, MNEK – can we get Frankie’s number now?
2. Before he had time to get over the success of ‘All Fired Up’, MNEK once again supplied an absolute banger for X Factor winners Little Mix, except this time he didn’t settle for a top 3 place. Little Mix’s first lead single ‘Wings’ flew straight top the top spot and cemented MNEK’s role in the music business. Credited for providing additional programming to the track, MNEK had tasted glory and the future looked bright.
3. Praised by British hip hop rapper Tinie Tempah, MNEK took ‘Written In The Stars’ and raised it to new heights. MNEK is well respected for his unique and eccentric remixes and he definitely doesn’t disappoint here. Check out the intelligent remix below.
4. MNEK’s remixes don’t just stop at the instruments; Atomic Kitten’s ‘Whole Again’ and Jennifer Lopez’s ‘Waiting For Tonight’ have both had the full ‘refix’ – track, vocals, the lot has been ‘MNEK’d’. MNEK has a distinct talent for taking a song and hurtling it effortlessly into a completely new genre.
5. He’s playing No Tomorrow in June and everyone will stand and watch as he owns the stage. His live performances have been praised nationwide after sets at the iTunes Festival supporting none other than Kylie Minogue and even a stripped down performance in the BBC Live Lounge with Gorgon City.
5. He’s just released his first EP and it’s an absolute cracker! ‘Small Talk’ features 6 fresh beats from the man himself and 6 fresher lyrics from … you guessed it, the man himself. Take a listen below then click through his Soundcloud and listen to the rest of his back catalogue; only then will you fully appreciate this mans vast variety and compelling musical prowess.
By Luke Matthews